What is video interaction guidance (VIG)?
Video interaction guidance or VIG is an intervention where you are guided to reflect on video clips of interactions with your baby.
VIG has a strong evidence base and is recommended by NICE guidelines. It aims to help enhance your relationship with your baby and focuses on tuning in, empathising and considering overall wellbeing.
What will happen?
You and a VIG guider will meet to discuss what matters to you as a parent. Together you will discuss what you would like to focus upon in the sessions and what you would like to achieve. You will have time to ask questions and will be asked to complete a consent form.
Here are some examples from other parents:
- I hope to get to know my baby more
- I would like to try to help my baby feel safe
- I want to develop my confidence
- I would like to work on some difficult thoughts.
When you are feeling comfortable a short video will be taken of you and your bump/baby. This will be a few minutes in length. The video will capture moments where you and your baby are communicating.
You may feel apprehensive about being videoed; your guider will discuss these worries with you. VIG guiders believe that every parent is trying to do their best and want to empower you to reach your goals. We respect you as a parent and will not judge you.
How does it work?
At the next meeting you and the guider will watch some clips from the film. Together you will observe and discuss what is happening, including what is working well and how to achieve your personal goals. At the end of the session together you will summarise the strengths and points you’d like to work on.
Following the intervention you will be offered some photos to keep as a reminder of this work.
You can withdraw your consent at any time and this will not affect your care within the team.
Feedback from parents
- “It was useful for me to visibly see the interactions between me and my son.”
- “I saw in the video clips that I show love to my son outside of saying it, so the main change is trusting it and allowing it to grow.”
- “VIG improved my communication and relationship to my baby.”
- “I wouldn’t have thought about the things the guider picked out. The positives I wouldn’t think about, I always think of the negatives.
- “It showed me close up our interactions and how my baby likes me.”
- “I liked to see my reactions to my baby and her reactions to me from a different view point. I don’t get to see my reactions, to see them made me understand what my baby sees.”
L1111, V1, 14/09/2020 (Archive: 14/09/2023)