Contact the mindfulness team…
|West Park Hospital
Edward Pease Way
|Lead contact name||Jo Cromarty
Do you suffer with repeated episodes of depression?
Are you stressed by caring for, or parenting, someone with mental ill health?
Many of us spend a lot of time brooding about the past, worrying about the future, and being hard on ourselves. These habits of mind are difficult to control and often leave us feeling stressed and low.
Mindfulness can help….
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a particular way of paying attention to the present moment. When we’re tuned in to the present moment, the mind is less likely to get caught up in unhelpful patterns of thinking and feeling.
Mindfulness helps us become more aware of our thoughts and emotions and relate to them in a different way. We learn skills that can help us to:
- become more focussed and steady
- feel less overwhelmed
- respond more wisely to difficulties and stress.
Mindfulness can also help us learn to be kinder to ourselves and more accepting of how things are.
‘Staying present’ is easy to describe but difficult to do – especially when we’re feeling stressed, or miserable. With patience and practice we can all learn to be more mindful more often.
Hear more from our mindfulness team…
How can we learn to be more mindful?
We run courses of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) for people aged over 18 years, who:
- have experienced repeated episodes of depression
- or are stressed by parenting or caring for someone with mental ill health or a learning disability.
What is a mindfulness course like?
The course includes eight sessions lasting just over two hours and one day-long session that lasts six hours. Sessions normally take place over consecutive weeks.
In the sessions you will learn and practice some fairly simple meditations, for example focusing attention on your breathing for periods of time. The teacher will be a qualified mental health professional who is also experienced in teaching mindfulness.
The course takes a lot of time and effort and involves practising the meditations at home on a daily basis. It is important to attend every session and to complete all of the home practice.
You can try out a brief mindfulness meditation below to give you an idea of what our taster sessions and courses are like. It’s best to do this sitting in a chair and at a time when you know you won’t be interrupted.
What is the evidence?
MBCT has been thoroughly researched and is recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) for people who suffer from recurrent depression. There is also good evidence that learning mindfulness can be helpful for people who are stressed.
How do I take part in a course?
The first step is to come along to a taster session where you will hear more about mindfulness and the MBCT course. You will also try out some brief guided meditations.
After you’ve been to a taster session you may choose to apply for the MBCT course by filling in a simple application form. This will be followed by a telephone call and a discussion about whether this is the right approach for you at this time in your life.
When and where are the next taster sessions and courses?
|Venue||West View Baptist Church, Miers Avenue, Hartlepool, TS24 9JQ|
|Taster sessions||Wednesday 6 November, 2pm – 4pm
Monday 25 November, 10am – 12 noon
|Course Starts||Tuesday 7 January 2020, 10am – 12.15pm|
|Venue||St Nicholas Church Hall, Bow St, Guisborough, TS14 6BP|
|Taster Sessions||Monday 18 November, 10am – 12 noon
Monday 16 December, 10am – 12 noon
|Course starts||Monday 27 January 2020, 10.15am – 12.30pm|
Durham and Darlington
|Venue||Whessoe Parish Hall, Great North Road, Harrowgate Village, Darlington, DL1 3AA|
|Taster sessions||Tuesday 17 December, 6pm – 8pm
Tuesday 14 January 2020, 6pm – 8pm
|Course starts||Tuesday 28 January 2020, 6pm – 8.15pm|
|Venue||The Greenhouse, Greencroft Industrial Park, Annfield Plain, Stanley, County Durham, DH9 7XN|
|Taster sessions||Monday 13 January 2020, 2pm – 4pm
Monday 27 January 2020, 2pm – 4pm
|Course starts||Monday 17 February 2020, 2pm – 4.15pm|
|Venue||St Cuthbert’s Centre, 33 Church Hill, Crook, County Durham, DL15 9DU|
|Taster sessions||Tuesday 14 January 2020, 10am – 12 noon
Tuesday 28 January 2020, 10am – 12 noon
|Course starts||Tuesday 18 February 2020, 10am – 12.15pm|
|Venue||The Guild Room, St Mary’s Parish Hall, Newgate, Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8NQ|
|Taster sessions||Wednesday 15 January 2020, 2pm – 4pm
Wednesday 29 January 2020, 2pm – 4pm
|Course starts||Wednesday 19 February 2020, 2pm to 4.15pm|
|Venue||Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ|
|Taster sessions||Tuesday 25 February, 9.30 am – 11.30am
Tuesday 24 March, 9.30am – 11.30am
|Course starts||Wednesday 22 April, 9.30am – 11.45am|
|Venue||Chester-le-Street Community Association, 5 Newcastle Road, Chester-le-Street, DH3 3TS|
|Taster sessions||Monday 9 March, 1pm – 3pm
Monday 23 March, 2pm – 4pm
|Course starts||Monday 20 April, 2pm – 4.15pm|
|Venue||The Galtres Centre, Easingwold YO61 3AE (car park available)|
|Taster Sessions||Monday 11 November, 7pm – 9pm
Monday 9 December, 7pm – 9pm
|Course starts||Monday 27 January 2020, 6.30pm – 8.45pm|
|Venue||Wellspring Therapy and Training, Wellspring House, 78 High Street, Harrogate, HG2 7LW|
|Taster sessions||Tuesday 19 November, 6pm – 8pm
Wednesday 18 December, 6pm – 8pm
|Course Starts||Wednesday 29 January 2020, 6pm – 8.15pm|
|Venue||The Old Mill, Skeeby, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 5EB|
|Taster||Monday 6 January 2020, 9.30am – 11.30am
Monday 13 January 2020, 9.30am – 11.30am
|Course Starts||Monday 27 January 2020, 9.30am – 11.45am|
|Venue||Friends Meeting House, Quaker Close, Scarborough, YO12 5QZ|
|Taster||Wednesday 4 March, 10am – 12 noon
Wednesday 18 March, 10am to 12 noon
|Course Starts||Monday 11 May, 9.30am – 11.45am|
York and Selby
|Venue||Acomb Friends Meeting House, The Green, Acomb, York, YO26 5LR|
|Taster Sessions||Thursday 21 November, 9.30am – 11.30am
Thursday 12 December, 9.30am – 11.30am
|Course starts||Tuesday 28 January 2020, 9.30am – 11.45am|
Details of further courses being held across the Trust area will be added here:
Days of mindfulness
For those completing the eight-week mindfulness course, we hold days of mindfulness to help you keep in touch with what you have learnt on your mindfulness course. Places are limited so to book a place contact 01325 552017 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday 21 February, 10am to 4pm, Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Tuesday 25 February, 10am to 4pm, St Francis Village Hall, Hutton Henry, TS27 4RH
- Wednesday 26 February, 10am to 4pm, Carlton WI, Carlton TS21 1ST
- Monday 9 March, 10am to 4pm, Ingleby Greenhow and Easby Village Hall, Marsh Lane, Ingleby Greenhow, Marsh Lane, Ingleby Greenhow, Middlesbrough, TS9 6LX
- Tuesday 10 March, 10am to 4pm, Helperby Village Hall, Main Street, Helperby, York, YO61 2NS
- Wednesday 11 March, 10am to 4pm, The Village Hall, East Harlsey, Northallerton DL6 2BL
- Wednesday 11 March, 10am to 4pm, Thorganby Village Hall, Main Street, Thorganby, York, YO19 6DA
- Thursday 12 March, 10am to 4pm, Stavely and Copgrove Village Hall, Main Street, Staveley, Knaresborough, HG5 9LD
- Friday 13 March, 9.30am to 3.30pm, Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Monday 16 March, 10am to 4pm The Old Mill, Skeeby
- Monday 30 March, 10am to 4pm, The Lodge, Blackhill & Consett Park, Laburnum Avenue, Consett, DH8 5TA
- Tuesday 31 March, 10am to 4pm, St Cuthbert’s Centre, 33 Church Hill, Crook, County Durham, DL15 9DU
- Wednesday 1 April, 10am to 4pm, Main Hall, St Mary’s Parish Hall, Newgate, Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8NQ
- Tuesday 26 May, 10am to 4pm Elm Ridge Methodist Church, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Wednesday 3 June, 10am to 4pm, Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Wednesday 10 June, 10am to 4pm, Chester-le-Street – venue to be confirmed
- Monday 29 June, 10am to 4pm, Friends Meeting House, Quaker Close, Scarborough, YO12 5QZ
Follow up sessions
These three-hour sessions are designed for graduates of the eight-week mindfulness course with a view to helping sustain mindfulness in everyday life.
The session will include mindfulness practices with discussion on how your personal mindfulness practice is developing and what supports/hinders it.
We will revisit some of the themes of the eight-week course as appropriate.
To book a place, please contact us:
For general enquiries, please tel.01325 552017 or email. email@example.com
You can also hear a little bit more about our mindfulness taster days and courses from the TEWV mindfulness team below:
- Williams and Penman – Mindfulness: a practical guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World (includes a CD of short practices).
- Williams, Teasdale, Segal, & Kabat-Zinn: The Mindful Way Through Depression (includes a CD of short practices).
- Teasdale, Williams & Segal: The Mindful Way Workbook An 8-week program to Free Yourself from Depression and Emotional Distress (includes a CD of short practices)
- Orsillo & Roemer: The Mindful Way Through Anxiety.
|Date last updated:||13/07/2018|