Contact the mindfulness team…
|West Park Hospital
Edward Pease Way
|Lead contact name||Jo Cromarty
Do you suffer with repeated episodes of depression?
Are you stressed by caring for, or parenting, someone with mental ill health?
Many of us spend a lot of time brooding about the past, worrying about the future, and being hard on ourselves. These habits of mind are difficult to control and often leave us feeling stressed and low.
Mindfulness can help….
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a particular way of paying attention to the present moment. When we’re tuned in to the present moment, the mind is less likely to get caught up in unhelpful patterns of thinking and feeling.
Mindfulness helps us become more aware of our thoughts and emotions and relate to them in a different way. We learn skills that can help us to:
- become more focussed and steady
- feel less overwhelmed
- respond more wisely to difficulties and stress.
Mindfulness can also help us learn to be kinder to ourselves and more accepting of how things are.
‘Staying present’ is easy to describe but difficult to do – especially when we’re feeling stressed, or miserable. With patience and practice we can all learn to be more mindful more often.
Hear more from our mindfulness team…
How can we learn to be more mindful?
We run courses of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) for people aged over 18 years, who:
- have experienced repeated episodes of depression
- or are stressed by parenting or caring for someone with mental ill health or a learning disability.
What is a mindfulness course like?
The course includes eight sessions lasting just over two hours and one day-long session that lasts six hours. Sessions normally take place over consecutive weeks.
In the sessions you will learn and practice some fairly simple meditations, for example focusing attention on your breathing for periods of time. The teacher will be a qualified mental health professional who is also experienced in teaching mindfulness.
The course takes a lot of time and effort and involves practising the meditations at home on a daily basis. It is important to attend every session and to complete all of the home practice.
You can try out a brief mindfulness meditation below to give you an idea of what our taster sessions and courses are like. It’s best to do this sitting in a chair and at a time when you know you won’t be interrupted.
What is the evidence?
MBCT has been thoroughly researched and is recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) for people who suffer from recurrent depression. There is also good evidence that learning mindfulness can be helpful for people who are stressed.
How do I take part in a course?
The first step is to come along to a taster session where you will hear more about mindfulness and the MBCT course. You will also try out some brief guided meditations.
After you’ve been to a taster session you may choose to apply for the MBCT course by filling in a simple application form. This will be followed by a telephone call and a discussion about whether this is the right approach for you at this time in your life.
When and where are the next taster sessions and courses?
|Venue||Live Well Centre, Dundas Shopping Centre, Dundas Street, Middlesbrough, TS1 1HR|
|Taster sessions||Wednesday 7 August, 10am – 12 noon
Wednesday 14 August, 10am – 12 noon
|Course Starts||Wednesday 18 September, 9.30am – 11.45am|
|Venue||St Nicholas Church Hall, Church St, Guisborough, TS14 6BP|
|Taster Sessions||Monday 18 November 2019 from 10.00am to 12.00 noon or Monday 16 December 2019 from 10.00am to 12.00 noon|
|Course starts||Monday 27 January 2020 from 10.15am to 12.30pm|
Durham and Darlington
|Venue||Bishop Auckland Methodist Church, Bishop Auckland|
|Taster sessions||Monday 5 August, 6pm
Monday 12 August, 6pm
|Course Starts||Monday 16 September 2019, 6pm|
|Venue||William Jeffrey Room, The Pavilion, Helford Road, Peterlee, County Durham, SR8 1ER|
|Taster sessions||Tuesday 6 August, 10am – 12 noon
Tuesday 13 August, 10am – 12 noon
|Course Starts||Tuesday 17 September, 10am – 12.15pm|
|Venue||Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ|
|Taster sessions||Wednesday 7 August, 10am – 12 noon
Tuesday 3 September, 10 – 12 noon
|Course starts||Wednesday 2 October 2019|
|Jubilee Room, Boroughbridge Library, 17 St James’ Meadow, Boroughbridge, York, YO51 9AR.
(Street parking is available nearby and there is a large free carpark in Boroughbridge. Please do not park on St James’ Square).
|Taster||Monday 2 September 10am – 12 noon|
|Course Starts||Monday 7 October, 10am – 12.15pm|
|Venue||Brompton Methodist Church, The Green, Brompton, Northallerton, DL6 2QT|
|Taster sessions||Tuesday 3 September, 10am – 12noon
Tuesday 17 September, 10am – 12noon
|Course Starts||Tuesday 8 October, 9.30am|
|Venue||Whitby Hidden Impairments Support and Help, St. Hilda’s Business Centre, The Ropery, Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO22 4ET|
|Taster||Wednesday 31 July, 11am – 1pm
Wednesday 11 September, 11am – 1pm
|Course Starts||Wednesday 9 October 2019|
|Venue||The Old Mill, Skeeby, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 5EB|
|Taster||Monday, 6 January 2020 9.30am – 11.30am
Monday, 13 January 2020 9.30am – 11.30am
|Course Starts||Monday, 27 January 2020 9.30am – 11.45am|
|Venue||St Cuthbert’s Church and Community Hall, Colburn Lane, Colburn, Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, DL9 4LT|
|Taster sessions||Thursday 5 September, 6pm – 8pm
Thursday 12 September, 6pm – 8pm
|Course Starts||Thursday’s, from 10 October, 6-8.15pm|
|Venue||The Galtres Centre, Easingwold YO61 3AE (car park available)|
|Taster Sessions||Monday 11 November 2019 from 7.00pm to 9.00pm or
Monday 9 December 2019 from 7.00pm to 9.00pm
|Course starts||Monday 27 January 2020 from 6.30pm to 8.45pm|
York and Selby
|Venue||Brayton Community Centre, Foxhill Lane, Selby, YO8 9TP|
|Taster||Tuesday, 10 September 2019, 9.30am – 11.30am|
|Course Starts||Tuesday 8 October 2019|
|Venue||Acomb Friends Meeting House, The Green, Acomb, York, YO26 5LR|
|Taster Sessions||Thursday 21 November 2019 from 9:30am to 11:30am or
Thursday 12 December 2019 from 9:30am to 11:30am
|Course starts||Tuesday 28 January 2020 from 9:30am to 11:45am|
Details of further courses being held across the Trust area will be added here:
Barnard Castle, Crook, Darlington, Consett, Guisborough, Hartlepool, Harrogate, Easingwold, Richmond
Days of mindfulness
For those completing the eight-week mindfulness course, we hold days of mindfulness to help you keep in touch with what you have learnt on your mindfulness course. Places are limited so to book a place contact 01325 552017 or email email@example.com.
- Monday 28 October, 10am to 4pm, Methodist Church, 21 Cockton Hill Road, Bishop Auckland, DL14 6EN
- Tuesday 29 October, 10am to 4pm, Liddell Room, Seaton Holme, Hall Walks, Easington Village, Peterlee, SR8 3BS
- Wednesday 30 October 2019, 10am to 4pm, Ingleby Greenhow and Easby Village Hall, Marsh Lane, Ingleby Greenhow, Middlesbrough, TS9 6LX
- Tuesday 12 November, 10am to 4pm, Bishop Auckland Methodist Church, Bishop Auckland
- Tuesday 12 November, 10am to 4pm, Arkendale Hall, Marton Lane, Arkendale, Knaresborough, HG5 0RE
- Friday 15 November, 9.30am to 3.30pm, Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Monday 25 November 2019, 10.00am to 4.00pm, Staveley and Copgrove Village Hall, Main Street, Staveley, Knaresborough HG5 9LD
- Tuesday 26 November 2019, 10.00am to 4.00pm, The Village Hall, East Harlsey, Northallerton, DL6 2DB
- Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10.00am to 4.00pm, Shipton Community Centre, A19 Main St, Shipton by Beningbrough, York YO30 1AA
- Thursday 28 November, 10am to 4pm, Jonas Centre, Redmire, Wensleydale
- Thursday 28 November, 10am to 4pm, Green Lane Centre, Green Lane, Whitby, YO22 4EH
- Friday 21 February 2020, 10am to 4pm, Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Week beginning 9 March 2020, North Yorkshire, venue TBC
- Week beginning 9 March 2020, Teesside, venue TBC
- Tuesday 11 March 2020, 10.00am to 4.00pm, York, venue TBC
- Monday 16 March 2020 10am to 4pm The Old Mill, Skeeby
Follow up sessions
These three-hour sessions are designed for graduates of the eight-week mindfulness course with a view to helping sustain mindfulness in everyday life.
The session will include mindfulness practices with discussion on how your personal mindfulness practice is developing and what supports/hinders it.
We will revisit some of the themes of the eight-week course as appropriate.
- Wednesday 23 October 2019, 1pm to 4pm, Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall, Carmel Road South, Darlington, DL3 8DJ
- Wednesday 11 September, 1pm to 4pm, New Earswick Quaker Meeting House, White Rose Avenue, York, YO32 4AE (Please note: adjacent car park may be closed due to building work but street parking available nearby)
To book a place, please contact us:
For general enquiries, please tel.01325 552017 or email. firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also hear a little bit more about our mindfulness taster days and courses from the TEWV mindfulness team below:
- Williams and Penman – Mindfulness: a practical guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World (includes a CD of short practices).
- Williams, Teasdale, Segal, & Kabat-Zinn: The Mindful Way Through Depression (includes a CD of short practices).
- Teasdale, Williams & Segal: The Mindful Way Workbook An 8-week program to Free Yourself from Depression and Emotional Distress (includes a CD of short practices)
- Orsillo & Roemer: The Mindful Way Through Anxiety.
|Date last updated:||13/07/2018|
Was this information useful? Please let us know by clicking here.