Service user and carer comments
“Thank you for all your patience and care and understanding during my time on Birch. You might feel unrecognised, and at times condemned by patients, but the truth is that you are the blood that keeps the unit working. Anorexia is a cruel and painful illness and you all bring care and understanding. I cannot thank you enough for the times you have held me up when I have fallen and thank you from the bottom of my heart as I move to the next stage of my recovery.”
“We would like to express our heartfelt thanks for the tremendous work which your team has done towards helping with our son’s recovery. We have been so impressed with the care provided for him and the support you have offered to us his family. It is a comfort to know that there are professionals such as yourselves to help people like him and we are grateful the service has been available to us all.”
“Thanks so much for all your help and support during my time here, for pushing me when I needed it and being the voice of reason when I worried. I’ll try to keep working hard and move forward with my life and not let all your hard work go to waste. Thank you.”
Our adult inpatient services have achieved the beat assured quality mark.
About Birch Ward
The Northern Centre for Eating Disorders
West Park Hospital
Edward Pease Way, Darlington, County Durham
Tel. 01325 552053
Birch Ward is part of The Northern Centre for Eating Disorders (NCED), which is made up of a specialist eating disorder inpatient unit:
- Birch Ward, based at West Park Hospital in Darlington treats adults.
Birch Ward is a 15 bed centre which provides individual care for adults with eating disorders, in a specially designed environment.
It provides the best possible care to help people reach a point in their lives when they no longer need to be treated in hospital.
People leaving Birch Ward will have a stable eating pattern and will be better able to manage the rest of their recovery in their own homes.
The centre accepts patients who are subject to the Mental Health Act and has two dedicated supported high dependency beds for those who need higher levels of physical care and nutritional rehabilitation.
Patients and carers are at the heart of everything we do and they have been involved in the design of Birch Ward.
On Birch Ward patients have:
- Single en suite bedrooms, all with a window view, TV, DVD and CD player
- Two dining rooms, one in the main ward area and a separate ‘activities of daily living’ dining room
- Central airy hub sitting area with daily papers and magazines
- Four lounges, including two with Sky TV and visitors’ lounges
- A full kitchen with a dedicated chef for the centre and a separate ‘activities of daily living’ kitchen
- Occupational therapy activities room and two garden areas
- Computers with wireless internet access
All our facilities are suitable for people with physical disabilities and wheelchair users.
Patients are also able to access the other facilities at West Park Hospital.
We understand how important it is for our patients to be able to keep in touch with their family and friends whilst in hospital which is why we offer our patients internet access and Skype links.
Treatment and therapies
The Northern Centre for Eating Disorders at Birch Ward offers an exceptionally high quality, caring environment for male and female patients.
The highly trained, specialist, multi-disciplinary team offers:
- Specialist assessment
- Physical and nutritional rehabilitation, including naso-gastric re-feeding
- A range of psychological therapies
- Social and occupational recovery approaches.
- Art psychotherapy and occupational therapy.
Our multi disciplinary team is consultant led and includes:
- psychological therapists
- occupational therapist
- specialist registered general nurses
- mental health nurses and
- nursing assistants.