Young onset dementia specialists work within the following community teams:
- Stockton community mental health team
- Middlesbrough community mental health team
- Hartlepool community mental health team
- Redcar and Cleveland community mental health team
You can be referred via your GP or you can contact the teams directly for advice on how to access services.
What is dementia?
Dementia is a general term for a range of disorders that cause physical changes to the brain. This progressive deterioration may affect a person’s memory, personality, behaviour, concentration, reasoning, learning and understanding.
There are a number of conditions that cause dementia. The symptoms and rate of decline vary from person to person.
About young onset dementia specialists
Young onset dementia specialists work with younger people who have dementia or Huntington’s disease and live in Stockton, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool or Redcar and Cleveland. This includes people who are:
- under 65 years old
- have been diagnosed with dementia or are concerned they may have dementia
- who care for someone under 65 with dementia
- who have Huntington’s disease.
Young onset dementia specialists:
- put people living with dementia at the heart of everything they do
- promote physical, social and emotional well-being, recognising the importance of choice and independence in supporting clients to pursue their interests
- maximise available resources and look beyond traditional services to help clients to get the most out of life within the community
- value the importance of respecting and listening to clients and maintaining dignity at all times.
What help is available?
Professionals recognise everyone needs different help and support and can:
- coordinate services and act as a main point of contact
- talk with the client about their diagnosis
- give practical advice on coping with dementia
- assist the client with finding the right type of help/support and services needed
- put clients in touch with others who can offer support, such as the Alzheimer’s society, who offer a range of services
- give clients the opportunity to meet others with young onset dementia.