At the end of June 2020 we launched Our Big Conversation and asked our service users, carers, families, our colleagues, our partners and local communities to share their ideas, insight and experiences to shape the future of our trust, together.
In just over four months, 2,100+ service users, carers, families, partners and colleagues have collectively shared more than 35,800 contributions. This has been the biggest listening exercise we’ve ever done and we’re delighted that over 400 service users and carers, staff from every area of our trust, and some of our key partners have joined us in this very important conversation.
What we’ve heard
Over the last few weeks every single idea and comment has been read by our leadership team and it was then analysed by independent analysts. This was to help us understand what we need to focus on to really make positive and meaningful change.
Last week we held a two-day business planning event with our trust board, some of our senior leaders, service users and carers and some of our partners, where together we listened to this analysis for the first time. We heard that there’s a collective call for us to focus on some key areas:
- What our trust would look like if we got everything right (our purpose)
- The sort of organisation we want to become (our vision)
- The behaviours that we all should expect from everyone who works here (our values)
- The main things we should be working towards (goals)
- Some key things we must get in place to make a new future possible (our priorities).
As well as listening to the analysis, we also reviewed a very draft strategic framework, which includes a new purpose, vision, values and set of goals for the trust, based on what we’ve heard. Over the two days everyone had an opportunity to share their thoughts on the framework and to share ideas on what we need to prioritise to really make change happen.
The next steps
Throughout the event everyone’s feedback was collected. There weren’t any major changes but the framework will be refined to reflect those views. Over the next few weeks there’s also further work to do to analyse the ideas we’ve received on what our priorities should be.
A revised strategic framework will then be presented at our trust board, which is taking place on Tuesday 24 November. We’ll make sure that these papers are available for anyone who wants further detail on Our Big Conversation.
We then have some key dates that we’re working towards:
- Early January 2021 – another event will be held with the Board of Directors, senior leaders, service users and carers and partners to scope out the priorities we have identified
- January 2021 – a final version of the new purpose, vision, values and goals for our trust will be shared with the board for approval
- March 2021 – the new trust business plan for 2021/22 – 2023/24 will be shared with the trust board for approval.
- April 2021 – we will begin to embed the new purpose, vision and values, whilst working towards our newly defined our goals and priorities.
We’ll continue to keep you updated. There’ll also be regular updates on our website – please visit www.tewv.nhs.uk and search Our Big Conversation.