Contacting your community mental health team
If you are an older person whose care is being transferred back to your GP, you will be given contact details for your community mental health team.
Our crisis service phone number is 0800 0516 171.
Current care provided
As you are remaining well, we are transferring your care from Mental Health Services for Older People (MHSOP) to your General Practitioner (GP).
Following a discussion with you, your family, friends and carers, your care will be provided by your GP.
Your GP will continue to prescribe your medication and monitor your wellbeing. You can contact your GP or the Community Mental Health Team if you have any concerns or worries.
- It is important to continue to take your medication correctly
- Continuing to access activities and support locally is just as important as taking medication
What if I need help or support for problems related to my mental health in the future?
You, your family, friends or carer can contact Mental Health Services for Older People at any time to speak to a member of staff.
We will be happy to answer any questions you may have and offer support or advice on any concerns you have identified.
An example of possible concerns could be:
- If you, your family, friends or carers are concerned about changes observed in your wellbeing, presentation, mood or your ability to keep yourself safe.
- If you, your family, friends or carers are concerned about incidents that have occurred that could affect your safety or wellbeing for example:
- Walking out late at night
- Unable to find your way home
- Increased risks in your normal daily living tasks such as cooking, personal hygiene, bathing
- Medication issues: increase, decrease or discontinuation of medication and monitoring any side effects
What will happen when I contact Mental Health Services for Older People?
You will be asked to describe your current concerns. This is so that we can allocate the correct person to meet your needs, or signpost you to a service better able to help you.
- Depending on the needs identified, an appointment may be given to you over the phone or an appointment can be sent in the post. There is the option to have the appointment via video link.
- At your appointment, a member of the Community Mental Health Team will review your situation and concerns, and together with you, your family, friends and carers we will create a plan to address your needs.
Mental health services for older people
- Have you been transferred from Community Mental Health Services but would like support or advice again?
- Are you concerned that someone you care for may need a review due to a change in their behaviour?
- Do you have any concerns about your treatment or care?
Why not telephone or pop along to the Community Mental Health Team and speak to a member of staff who will be happy to answer any questions and offer support.
L1072, V3, 8/12/2021 (Archive: 8/12/2024)