Our pharmacy service advises on and supports the safe and appropriate use of medicines within the trust
Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust's pharmacy service advises on and supports the safe and appropriate use of medicines within the trust.
We do this by providing:
Accurate and independent information and education about medicines to service users and carers
Information and education for trust staff and other professionals
Clinical activities to help ensure the optimum use of medicines
Medicines optimisation to ensure the most cost-effective use is made of resources
Complementing our clinical activities our main hospital sites (Lanchester Road, Roseberry Park and West Park) - have dedicated on-site Lloyds pharmacies, which supply and dispense medication for inpatients as well as service users who are being cared for by our community teams. Opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
An extended hours service in the evenings and at weekends is also provided from designated Lloyds community pharmacies. This has enabled us to improve access to medicines.
Many of the medicines related policies, procedures and guidelines are also available here on our website.
You can contact the trust's pharmacy team on tel: 0191 441 5778.
Choice and Medication website
The trust's Choice and Medication website offers information about medications used for mental health illnesses to help people make informed decisions about the medicines they need. Patients can use this site on their own or together with family, a carer, a doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
On the Choice and Medication website you'll useful information on:
- Commonly asked questions about mental health medicines
- Mental health conditions and the medicines used to treat them
- Comparing the main medications that are usually prescribed for a mental health condition
- Side effects of medicines
Which medicines do we prescribe?
The National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) approves which medicines can be prescribed to patients.
They also carry out 'technology appraisals' which give recommendations on the use of new and existing medicines and treatments within the NHS. The NHS is legally obliged to fund and resource medicines and treatments recommended by NICE's technology appraisals.
The list of approved medication we can prescribe for mental health conditions is called a 'formulary'.
- Our formulary is listed on the County Durham and Darlington formulary website. We use this list across all areas of the Trust, not just County Durham and Darlington. On the formulary website, use the links at the left and click on central nervous system / chapter 4 to see the approved mental health medicines. The formulary also indicates which treatments we use that have been approved by NICE.