The Northallerton team at The Friarage Hospital, Northallerton
The team is based at West Wing, The Friarage Hospital, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 1JG
Tel: 01609 762070/ 01609 763770
Fax: 01609 764201
The team operates 8am - 8pm, seven days a week.
About the service
The liaison psychiatry service provides assessments and a signposting service for patients aged 16 and over, who present with mental health problems at the Friarage Hospital.
The service operates from 8am - 8pm, Monday to Sunday with the team based at the main hospital site.
This means that patients admitted to accident and emergency (A&E) who have mental ill health will be seen more quickly by mental health specialists, and a treatment and care plan can be created for them immediately. It also helps to reduce any unnecessary acute hospital admissions for patients.
The liaison psychiatry service also works with acute colleagues to increase detection rates for patients who have developed dementia or depression, and provide support to ward staff who are caring for patients with mental health problems.
Many older people in general hospital have mental health problems and these are often unrecognised or untreated. Depression, delirium, dementia and anxiety are all common illnesses, and the care of patients with these problems can be especially complicated.
The team also works with acute colleagues to promote greater awareness, knowledge, acceptance and understanding of mental health issues.
The team offers
- Mental health assessments and reports
- Advice about treatment and care of patients with mental health problems
- Development of plans of care for patients
- Information for patients and carers
- Referrals to other specialist mental health workers (psychiatrists, psychologists, community nurses etc)
- Liaison (communication and negotiation) between mental health services and the general hospital.
About the team
The liaison psychiatry team includes:
- Consultant psychiatrist sessions
- Clinical team lead
- Associate nurse consultants
- Psychiatric liaison nurses (all with specialist knowledge)
- Administration staff
How to access the service
If you think you would benefit from this service you should speak to the nurse looking after you and ask to be referred to the mental health liaison service. Referrals are accepted during the hours of service, 365 days a year.