The adult affective disorders community intervention service is made up of the following teams working across County Durham and Darlington. Contact details for the teams are:

  • Chester-le-Street and Derwentside - Chester-le-Street Health Centre, Newcastle Road, Chester-le-Street, DH3 3UR. Tel number: 0191 333 6000
  • Darlington - West Park Hospital, Edward Pease Way, Darlington, DL2 2TS. Tel number: 01325 552322
  • Durham City - North End House, 42 North End, Durham, DH1 4LW. Tel number: 0191 594 5800
  • Easington - Merrick House, Seaside Lane, Easington, Peterlee, SR8 3DY. Tel number: 0191 527 5050
  • Sedgefield - Enterprise House, Meadowfield Avenue, Green Lane Industrial Estate, Spennymooor, DL16 6JF. Tel number: 0191 441 5950
  • Wear Valley and Durham Dales - Goodall Centre, Walker Drive, Bishop Auckland, DL14 6QN. Tel number: 01388 640001

About the service

What is an affective disorder? Affective disorder is a general term used to describe a range of difficulties relating to the way an individual feels, thinks and behaves.

The affective disorders community intervention teams help people (aged 18 to 65 years) with various mental health issues including anxiety, depression, mood disorders and personality problems. They can also work with the individual's family or carers.

We aim to offer a range of support with an emphasis on helping the individual to recover.

We review the needs of each individual and agree a care plan to help promote mental well being.

The care coordinator/lead profession will work with you, to help you access therapy or therapies and offer any support they may need to regain your best level of mental health as soon as is possible.

This will then help you to be discharged from the service and allow you to return to living a productive and fulfilling life.

The team

The affective disorders teams include:

  • Psychiatrists
  • Psychologists
  • Psychological therapists
  • An occupational therapist
  • Community psychiatric nurses
  • Social workers
  • Community support workers
  • Secretarial and administrative staff
  • Approved mental health practitioners

The service often has students and trainees placed within the team who may be involved in your care.

How to access the service

Referrals to the service are made via a single point - the access team or service for the locality. Any health, social care or voluntary agency professional can refer to the access team.