We provide local mental health, learning disability and eating disorders services
Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Trust was created in April 2006, following the merger of County Durham and Darlington Priority Services NHS Trust and Tees and North East Yorkshire NHS Trust.
In July 2008 we achieved foundation trust status under the NHS Act 2006. As a foundation trust we are accountable to local people through our Council of Governors and are regulated by Monitor, the health sector regulator.
In June 2011 we took over the contract to provide mental health and learning disability services to the people of Harrogate, Hambleton and Richmondshire. On 1 October 2015 we took over the contract to provide mental health and learning disability services in the Vale of York.
In December 2014 we were awarded the ‘Gold Standard’ by Investors in People (the highest level of accreditation). This is a nationally recognised people management standard which assesses how well organisations manage and develop their staff.
In May 2015 our services were rated as ‘GOOD’ by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) following the Trust-wide inspection of our services in January 2015.
We provide a range of mental health, learning disability and eating disorder services for the people living in County Durham and Darlington, the Tees Valley and most of North Yorkshire.
With over 6,500 staff and an annual operating income of over £300 million we deliver our services by working in partnership with local authorities and clinical commissioning groups, a wide range of other providers including voluntary organisations and the private sector, as well as service users, their carers and the public.
TEWV serves patients across a large geographical area. Our main towns and cities are Durham, Darlington, Middlesbrough, Scarborough, Whitby, Harrogate, Ripon, Vale of York and there are numerous smaller seaside and market towns scattered throughout our patch. We are also in the catchment area for the largest concentration of armed forces personnel in the UK (Catterick Garrison).
Read more about the Trust’s achievements over the past decade in our special commemorative brochure “TEWV – the first ten years”.
Our trust has a board of directors and a council of governors.
We have five operational directorates, one for each of our localities (County Durham and Darlington, Teesside, North Yorkshire, Vale of York) and a separate forensic directorate.
Within each of the three local areas we have four clinical directorates:
- adult mental health and substance misuse services
- mental health services for older people
- children and young people’s services
- learning disability services
Adult mental health services
We provide mental health services to adults of working age in partnership with social care and a wide range of voluntary and independent services providers for the people of County Durham, Darlington, Teesside and North Yorkshire and the Vale of York, including:
- A wide range of community based assessment and treatment services including primary care, liaison, crisis intervention, assertive outreach, community affective disorders and psychosis teams and eating disorders. The Trust also provides community mental health and deafness services and adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) across Teesside, County Durham and Darlington.
- Inpatient assessment and treatment services, including acute, intensive care, challenging behaviour, 24 hour nursed care and rehabilitation services
- Improving access to psychological therapy (IAPT) services (working with partners) in Durham, Darlington and Teesside
- The region's specialist eating disorder service (for the North East and North Cumbria)
Older people's services
We provide mental health services for older people working in partnership with social care and a wide range of voluntary and independent service providers. The services we provide include:
- Inpatient assessment and treatment services, including acute and challenging behaviour services
- A wide range of community based services including; mental health teams, acute liaison, care home liaison, day services and memory clinics
Children and young people's services
This service includes all child and adolescent mental health services and early intervention in psychosis services for the people of County Durham, Darlington, Teesside and North Yorkshire.
Services for children with learning disabilities are also provided in County Durham, Darlington and Teesside.
Our hospital at West Lane is also the base for our specialist regional North East and North Cumbria eating disorder inpatient service for children and young people.
Adult learning disabilities
We provide community and inpatient specialist assessment and treatment services to people with learning disabilities and mental health problems, autism, epilepsy and challenging behavior.
Forensic mental health and learning disabilities forensic services
Forensic services are specialist services which treat patients referred to us by the criminal justice system because of mental health or learning disabilities conditions, which have been a factor behind their offending. We provide community, inpatient and rehabilitation forensic services for people with mental health problems and learning disabilities.
We also provide community forensic services including criminal justice liaison services that work across the whole offending behavior pathway, for example street triage and the mental health services within all seven North East prisons.